Monday, August 11, 2008

The Saga of Vivi the cat

Through the years there have been many kitties in my life, too many to even count. But I must tell you that Vivian is one of the most unique. Of course, anyone that knows and loves cats knows that each one is unique, independent and aloof. That’s what makes them cats…but my Vivi excels at all things feline.

Vivian came into our lives way back in 2002 on a cold, Saturday morning. Danny and I left the girls at home and went to Wal-Mart to buy groceries. There at the front door of the store was a man with a shopping cart and a sign – and you guessed it! FREE KITTENS!

Now, I ALWAYS stop and look at whatever they are giving away at Wal-Mart. I just can’t help it. I hold the free puppies, I hold the kittens, and I would hold baby goats and probably baby pythons if they had them. Usually I walk away empty handed, but this day, there sat this tiny black and white kitten, looking up at me, from the bottom of a box in a shopping cart. My heart melted.

I picked her up and cuddled her. And I told the guy that I wanted her and asked if he would keep her for me until I got through with our shopping. He knew a sucker when he saw one. Of course he said yes.

WELL, once we got inside the store and out of earshot of the guy with the kittens Danny informs me that: I am not getting that kitten. I have two cats. I do NOT need another cat. He will not have another cat in HIS house.

This conversation goes on for a bit, and I say: Well, what I am supposed to do, I have made a commitment to the man with the kitten; Are we going to hide in the store all day? How are we going to walk past him?

Danny says: We’ll just slip out the other door and he'll never see us.

And then, right there, in Action Alley of Wal-Mart, I’ve had enough. Negotiations break down. I want THAT kitten. I stop, I turn, and with my hands on my hips, I oh so daintily say: BY GOD I am thirty nine years old and if I want THAT kitten she is going home with me!

Six years later, Vivi is here, living her unique feline life and loving every minute of it! (Danny maintains there was some sort of deal struck in the Wal-Mart aisle involving him getting a new shotgun. I’m taking the Fifth).

No comments: