Monday, September 29, 2008

Whatevah!

Way back, when Syd was a wee baby, I developed a passion for Martha Stewart. I know, it’s weird, but I LOVED her show. I watched every chance I got (oh, to have had TiVO then). I watched Martha baste turkeys, carve pumpkins and I soaked up ironing tips. I even ran out and bought a Rowenta iron because Martha had one. Believe me when I tell you that I endured A LOT of teasing thanks to my Martha addiction.

My relationship with Martha continued well into my pregnancy with Rea. When we told Syd that she was getting a new baby sister and asked her for name suggestions, there were two names she liked: Lassie…and Martha Stewart! And, as a pick-me-up during those hard months Danny even surprised me with a ticket to a luncheon at the Vanderbilt University Club to hear Martha speak! I have her autograph on something…somewhere.

Eventually the luster wore off ole Martha. I got tired of her, and frankly couldn’t understand how SHE wasn’t tired. Don’t you ever wonder if she just wants to roll over in the bed some morning and just say SCREW IT? That maybe a paper plate would suffice every now and again? Or how what about using paper towels as napkins. JUST ONCE. They don’t need starching and ironing, or rewashing for that matter. Wouldn’t they work - FOR HEAVENS SAKE?

Anyhoo, I did feel bad when ole Martha went to the pokey, but as usual she came out smellin’ like a rose, and now I have a new favorite show on the Fine Living Network and it’s called Whatever, Martha!

This show features Martha’s daughter Alexis and her best friend Jennifer. I can’t imagine what it would be like to grow up as Martha’s daughter, but the show gives you little glimpses. Each episode takes excerpts from Martha’s show and they MAKE FUN of her. These girls are completely irreverent and do not cut her any slack. I find it totally funny. It comes on at 11:00 p.m., so if you have a DVR you should set it to record, it’s a must see!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Devry, Kristy Holt here. Miss you at soccer this season. No one cool to talk to except myself. Imagine that! What happened to us getting on the same team?? We'll see ya on the field I guess.

Nelson's Mama said...

I miss you too!! I really didn't expect to see you here!! :O)! Glad you stopped by and I hope you come back...

Anonymous said...

Several years ago,my husband asked me "So who is Martha Stewart anyway?" Mind you this was well before her unfavorable publicity in the news. The best way I could explain it was that she was this woman who can take a trash bag and make a centerpiece with it.