Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Water

Water fascinates me, it always has. I love the way it sparkles when it comes out the end of a garden hose and the cool feel of it on my bare feet as I stand on hot concrete. As a child, I would spend hours playing with a bucket full of water or using a number two washtub as a makeshift kiddie pool.

My parents bought their first boat, a little sixteen foot runabout, when I was just four. It was the first of many boats in my life – I learned to water-ski behind that boat when I was seven. Many sweet summer days were spent skimming across the smooth green water of Kentucky Lake on a slalom ski.

I was a teenager before I went to the beach the first time - and saw the Atlantic Ocean. The water was cold, the waves were big, the undertow strong and it was so salty. I loved it instantly. Now, when I go to the beach, I don’t really like to sit in a chair – I like to stand in the surf, about ankle deep. I watch for little fish, dig for coquinas, search for shells, wonder about life and basically just watch the waves go in and go out.

I’m simply mesmerized.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Lady:

Blame Jim Voorhies for me being here.

I grew up landocked and then spent most of 35 years living within 10 miles of the Atlantic Ocean. I now live about 1.5 miles from Lake Ontario (not salty, but pretty darned huge) and that's a good thing. Like the museums, I take great comfort in knowing all that water is nearby and, that should I choose to immerse myself in its wonders, I may do so.

So you're a dog's mommie, but in "human years" you're single? It's okay, I'm old and crazy and to hell and gone from TN.

If you don't already know these blogs you might want to check them out.

http://www.cookeatfret.com/ (a great food blog)

and

http://melodysinger.wordpress.com/

(another single parent dog lady)

democommie