Monday, June 15, 2009

Happy Father's Day

Yes - I know it wasn't yesterday. Now. Why didn't somebody tell me that when I panicked on Saturday afternoon, when I saw that sale paper that said "FATHER'S DAY" in big letters? Or better yet, why did my brother AGREE with me that Sunday was Father's Day and I realized that yet again I had failed in the Good Daughter department and didn't have a Hallmark card winging it's way toward Kentucky?

I went through most of Sunday thinking it was Father's Day. I made Danny his favorite dessert, a Key Lime Pie (I'll include the recipe at the bottom) and planned on grilling burgers later on and was chilling on the couch, minding my own business, when somehow I stumbled across the fact that NEXT Sunday is Father's Day.

Danny has had his Father's Day meal - and it was a fine one. I see no reason to prepare another. DO YOU?


Pioneer Woman’s Key Lime Pie

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Crust

18 graham crackers (the 4-section large pieces)
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
Crush crackers in a food processor or Ziploc bag. Pour them into a bowl and stir in sugar and melted butter. Press into a pie pan and bake for 5 minutes or until golden and set. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.

Filling

1 heaping tablespoon lime zest
1/2 cup lime juice
2 egg yolks
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
Mix lime zest, lime juice, and egg yolks in a mixing bowl. Add in condensed milk and mix on high until smooth and thick. Pour mixture into crust and bake for 15 minutes.

Remove from oven, allow to cool, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour—more if possible.
Serve with sweetened whipped cream and more grated lime zest.

(I used a prepared graham cracker crust - I don't always go to the trouble of making one.)

No comments: