Saturday, May 31, 2008

You have been promoted...

My baby graduated from Fifth Grade today. Our elementary school days are over, she will begin middle school in a couple of months.

And I know it sounds cliché, but I just don’t know where the time went.

It doesn’t seem all that long ago that Syd was a baby and I was enjoying my time with her, watching her do all those things that babies do. Thinking that she was so special, when in fact (I now know) she was pretty much just like every other baby that came along. But, oh how I loved her! I’ll confess that I didn’t enjoy those milestones that most Mom’s get all excited about, I didn’t really want her to crawl, or walk, because that just meant time had been marked off, that her babyhood was slipping away and I didn’t like it one bit. In fact, I had a huge lump in my throat on her first birthday – all day. I did not feel like celebrating. I did eventually get better about those things!

And, I didn’t want another child. I just didn’t know how in the world I could fit another one in my heart, it was too full. There was no way that I could love anyone else like I loved her, another child would certainly get the short end of the stick.

But when Syd was five or so, we got a little surprise, and I found out after a couple of weeks (yes, it took a bit, I’m being honest here) that there was room, after all, in my heart for TWO little girls, more than enough.

As another school year ends and I’m looking toward another, it makes me sad to think that in another couple of years Syd will be graduating and then leaving for college. Before I know it Rea will be in high school and then both of my girls will be gone.

Time sure went by fast, I wish I had a lot of it back to savor and I wish I had some ”do-overs”, but guess there is no point in wishing for what I can’t have. So, I’ll hold on to the memories of my beautiful girls, tell them how much I loved them THEN, how much I love them NOW and how much I’ll ALWAYS love them.

1 comment:

rungirlrun said...

My baby will start kindergarten! Where did the time go?