Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I can't hear you...

Syd has been fighting a severe case of swimmer's ear since we returned from the beach.

Monday morning bright and early she had an appointment with an ENT doctor because the pain just won't go away. Part of the work-up involved a check of her hearing - and I've never had my hearing checked, nor had either of my girls, so I didn’t know what to expect.

So, I go with Syd and the audiologist back to a small office with a sound booth, Syd goes in, you probably know the drill, enters the booth (that looks like a vault), puts on some head phones and the test begins.

They seemed to have gone through several repetitions of something when all at once this huge sound BLASTED through the building. I literally JUMPED OUT OF MY SKIN. Syd made eye contact with me and I am thinking that THIS is part of the test; they want to know if she can hear the BLAST in the SOUND PROOF booth. And, DAMN do the employees have to go through that EVERY single time they do a hearing test?

Then, the audiologist turned to me and said - we're having problems with our FIRE ALARM.

Oh, of course, I knew that....

No comments: