Monday, April 13, 2009

A whirlwind trip...



I drove up to Kentucky last week to attend a funeral. My Sister-in-Law’s father passed away unexpectedly. So, I went to the funeral and then stayed over and spent a little time with my family. [Can I just say right now that I got very lucky when I got Maine for an in-law - she’s one of those thoughty kind of people, if you know what I mean. And best of all, she has a great sense of humor!].

Danny and I left our hometown in 1985 - and it was a heady time. Great things were in store for us and we were excited about spreading our wings and moving to Nashville. But it was still hard, not only had we both grown up there, but our Kentucky roots ran deep, and for many generations. Leaving that behind wasn't something that we did lightly.

So as you might imagine, leaving to return to my home is always a bit bittersweet. I do it without crying now, but it's always a little hard. And I always leave a tiny piece of my heart behind - especially at Kentucky Lake.

But last week when I crossed the Tennessee state line, she welcomed me home with open arms; it was as if she was trying her best to impress me with her prettiest sunshine. The redbuds were a riot of color along the interstate, the wild cherries were blooming and the dogwoods were just beginning to turn.

I think loving two states must be like loving two kids - you find room in your heart for both of them.

No comments: