Monday, March 29, 2010

Spring Break

We've been on Spring Break around these parts and the weather has been rainy, windy, cold, snowy and blustery, exactly what every child and parent wants from a two-week break in March.

Although the weather didn't cooperate, the timing was great for Rea, she really needed a breather from middle school (and so did I). She spent a couple of days in Nashville with a friend, then I picked her up and we drove north to the Bluegrass state, where she got loved on by both of her grandmothers. She may already be 5' 6"and look all grown-up and act happy-go-lucky most of the time, but she's still part little girl (and even has feelings) and lately some things have really cut her to the core and nothing quite soothes the soul like a grandmother.

Instead of blogging I've been caught up in March Madness – we had tickets to the Final Four and were bound for Indianapolis but after Kentucky lost to West Virginia those babies went on eBay. It was a tough loss, but what a season…I'm not going to complain (unlike someone else around here). I haven't watched Wildcat basketball in forever and to get to enjoy this incredible year after such a dry spell was wonderful!

I've also been reading – my old addiction before blogs. In the last week I've read House Rules, by Jodi Picoult. The Girls from Ames: A Story of Women and a Forty-Year Friendship by Jeffrey Zaslow, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein and am nearly finished with Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout. They've all been good reads and I'd recommend every one of them.

Today found us back to our usual grind; Danny to work, the girls back to school and me back to being a scullery maid. I also spent a good bit of the day wondering how Rea's day went and hoping upon hope that it was better than before the break, when she learned the hard way that "no good deed goes unpunished" and that pretty girls don't know that "pretty is as pretty does".

No comments: