Thursday, October 7, 2010

Confessions from a Non-Hoarder

I don't know about you, but I've become more than a little intrigued with the reality shows about hoarders. I've got my Nameless DVR set to record both "Hoarding: Buried Alive" and "Hoarders" and watch them with equal parts of morbid fascination and repulsion – it's little like driving by a horrible car wreck, I just can't resist the temptation to look, then wonder why I'm totally mortified by the scene.

The homes and the people on those shows are seriously my worst nightmare and I catch myself holding my breath as I watch; I don't know how those family members don't manage go completely postal and rush in armed with corn scoops and a plethora of lawn sized trash bags and do a cleaning intervention.

I'll admit that watching those hoarding shows has compelled me to do a little house cleaning of my own – specifically closets and drawers. I like clean surfaces: kitchen counters, tables, washer & dryer and desks. The downside of this "need" of mine is that I often shove whatever offending clutter that is lying in my eyesight into the nearest drawer or closet and I'm here to tell you that it's not always an efficient system.

So, I've been taking a few minutes here and there and cleaning out some of the spaces that I'm the worst about shoving stuff into. Today, it was the laundry room closet. I bagged up some old towels to donate at church, organized all of the "fancy" shopping bags that get saved, refolded all of the cloth napkins and got all of the first aid items back into their basket home.

I'm guessing that I might also need to do something with the bank statements, bills and church newsletter from a month ago that I discovered amongst the cat food and the plastic grocery bags. Ahem.

And Rea, the strap to your trumpet case…I remember now where I put it.

3 comments:

I Am Woody said...

I have a fascination with those shows as well. Vol Fan's father was a hoarder. His mom kept the hoarding from invading the house. And when he died, she sent Vol Fan and his brother on a cleaning extravaganza. He had SO much stuff. A barn, 3 out buildings around their property, and an entire elementary school packed full of crap. Nothing valuable, nothing sentimental. Just crap. Full of bugs and spiders and mice and a possum!

Katie@YogaGal said...

Sometimes I wonder if my mom is a clothes, shoes, and jewelry hoarder- you should see her bathroom. All I need is to just see a commercial for Hoarders, and I start cleaning out closets. I am a bit of a neat freak.

Marc and the kids were in Murray this weekend! They went to see family while I was at the Komen Race in Nashville. They ate at Polly-Os, I might not be spelling that right. Cooper loved it. :D

Kelly said...

There are actually one or two homes I can't bring myself to visit, even though the owners are lovely people, because of the smell and the mess. By the way, since this sounds so much like me, how do you feel about the kitchen table?

A fellow non-hoarder