Sunday, November 16, 2008

To Old New Friends...

Three years ago this November, Danny and I were getting ready for a business retreat with a group of people that we were just getting to know. There were two couples among the group that were friends, but at that point in our lives, I would still have called them good acquaintances. And I will tell you that I was very apprehensive about that weekend. We were set to spend two days in a remote bed and breakfast, with no television or phones, in a very small town. Danny was scheduled to be in meetings most of the evenings and all day Saturday and even part of Sunday morning. There were planned activities for the spouses…but I was sweating, I was worried about what clothes to take, how everyone was going to fit together, what we would do. That was a lot of time to spend with people that you simply didn’t know. I was concerned, to say the least.

Just this morning, we got home from our third retreat; and we had a great time. But, the best part is, I didn’t think a thing about going this year. I threw some clothes in a suitcase and I was looking forward to seeing my old new friends. Those people that I was so worried about, that I didn’t know if I would fit in with, worried about where or if I would find common ground with…well, we did. We are all very different, have very diverse back grounds, some of us spend time together outside of this setting, some not at all, but it worked out.

And I truly enjoy their company.



No comments: